Herping

Herping

Friday, April 18, 2014

DIY Snake Hook

A friend got me interested in herping, specifically for snakes, so I decided to make a snake hook. I found this idea online here, and it worked very well.

The golf club was bought from goodwill for a little over $2.



The paint roller was bought from Lowes for about $3 to $4. I cut off the plastic grip with a dremel tool.


The dremel tool was also used to cut the head off of the club. This led the club to be 39.5 inches in length.


The end of the paint roller fit nicely into the golf club, and some JB Weld ($5?) was used to stick it all together.




After a little under 24 hours of drying, the stick (now just under 46.5 inches) was ready to use. It's study, and can flip rocks with ease.

 At the end of the day, I even was able to pick up a rattlesnake, which happened to be the only snake I found. It's still quite cool in California, so it was not aggressive at all, and responded by quietly slithering away.