Herping

Herping

Monday, May 5, 2014

Post-AP Relaxation

The AP Chemistry test being over, I decided to head out and search the hills for whatever I could find.

While creeping around off-trail, trying to avoid the vast forests of poison oak, I flipped an old cloth that had somehow wound up there, finding a little Jerusalem cricket. He played dead until I turned my hand over and he crawled over to the other side.

Jerusalem Cricket (aka Potato Bug)
(Stenopelmatus)

I also went back to where we found the rattlesnake yesterday. I had messed up the planks of wood which it called home yesterday and was not able to put them back because the little guy slithered off into the tall grass, and I did really not want to step on him. Thankfully, it was quite cool today, and he had found a place to nestle in. I pulled him out and he got used to the snake hook quite quickly.

I noticed immediately that he was missing a few rattles. This is normal, and is why you cannot always age a rattlesnake by the number it has.

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake
(Crotalus oreganus oreganus)

He quickly learned not to slide off
of the hook.

This is by far one of my favorite pictures of a rattlesnake which I have taken. Hopefully, there are many more like this to come!