Herping

Herping

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Mt. Dana

On Friday, we spontaneously decided to go to Yosemite for the weekend and hike Mount Dana. Well, truth be told, it was my idea (my parents thought that the hike, only 5.2 miles, would take us about 3 hours or so, and then we would be free to roam around the park and the neighboring town of Lee Vining). In the end, it more than paid off.

My mother could not reach the summit due to altitude sickness. My dad had trouble breathing and almost didn't make the last 50 meters, but he managed to push through and finish. I, on the other hand, was completely fine until we turned around, after which my minor headache turned into a throbbing pulse which lasted until I fell asleep, and returned in a milder form the next day. Oh well.

Yellow-Bellied Marmots were found scampering over rocks all over Tuolumne Meadows. The photo below was taken by a curious little guy who came quite close. Photo credits to my father.

Yellow-Bellied Marmot
(Marmota flaviventris)

As for the summit itself, it marks the highest peak (or point of land in general) I have set foot on, ever. A big thanks to the kind people who took the next picture (and are found in the panorama).

Mt. Dana Summit
13,061' (3,981m)

Survey Marker

Peak Selfie with Dad

The panorama can be found HERE. (Click on the thumbnail to go into 360 degree viewing)