Herping

Herping

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Pill Bugs Unite!

Today, I went in search of more pill bugs (since I only had one) to add to my colony. I went to a nearby school like I had planned and looked in the tanbark. I found nine. Not much of an accomplishment. Oh yeah, and they were all tiny! I put them in and they all burrowed deep into the soil. Saddened, I went back around the apartments in hope that somehow, I would find some more. That's when my luck turned around. I found a long piece of plywood on the dirt behind the dumpster. I picked it up to take a look, and was surprised by the THOUSANDS of pill bugs walking around! Thousands! And they were all huge, not tiny like the ones I found at the school. I grabbed a bunch and brought them home. These guys are much more active. Oh, and there's this really tiny one that I brought from the school. For some reason, he always wants to be at the highest place he can go. They're all awesome.

You can't really see the multitude of all of them in the picture, but at least you can see a few of them...